birding-aus

birding-aus RFI and Rarities.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus RFI and Rarities.
From: "Chris Padley" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:22:06 +0100
Hi all,
       Having visited Aus on birding expeditions twice now & had a great
time I have encouraged two fellow pom birders to go to Queensland this
November. Could anybody send to me the e:mails of Chris Dahlberg, O'Reilleys
and Kingfisher Park as they would like to visit these places/people.
            I have been reading the mail on reporting rarities with
interest. I must say that I feel the same about our rarities committee that
many of you do - & that is  - unless you are well known you have little
chance of a record being accepted. However most rarities over here get
reported on Birdline or on one of the pager systems and very quickly,
literally within minutes many birders can be viewing the bird. This means
that the identification is quickly verified or not and if the rarities
committee want to they can record it. I appreciate that in Aus there are
fewer birders and that distances are vast - so that the bird may have flown
! Even so some slip the net even when seen by many birders. I quote from the
Cley Bird Club Newsletter of June 1999 - " A male Black-headed Wagtail was
present on Cley Reserve from 23rd. July to 11th August 1983.... the above
record has never been submitted to or accepted by the National Rarities
Committee. This bird was probably seen by hundreds of birders including the
County Recorder who states " I personally saw the bird but, like several
other observers whom I am aware also saw it, didn't take any notes at the
time."  I ask you, does it really matter in this case that a fully
documented report does not exist??? Sometimes a pleasurable hobby can become
too serious!

                                                       Cheers,
                                                        Chris Padley.

The Old Bakehouse,