birding-aus

birding-aus Those pesky Corellas.

Subject: birding-aus Those pesky Corellas.
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:54:04 +0900
Hi All,
Let me first thank all those who responded to my report and enquiry about
the Long-billed Corellas in Perth and elsewhere. Your responses have
supported my enquiry as to why field guides seem to have no consistency on
the locations of feral populations.
Let me summarise your responses so far:
People have reported populations of LB Corellas at the following locations,
most of which are not mentioned in the popular field guides.

Alan Morris: The whole of the NSW coast and into SE Qld.( this agrees
with Pizzey)

Bill Jolly:  Lockyer Valley, 60km west of Brisbane.

Jan England: Wacol area of Brisbane, Rockhampton,Cairns, Karumba.

David Donato: Alice Springs 1989-95, Darwin 1995.

Niven McCrie: Says the above were in Darwin, but have since died out.

Timoty Hyde:  Hope Island off the Gold Coast.

Alex Saar: Cites Serventy & Whittell (1976)as them being originally
native in WA from Geraldton to South Coast.

Frank O'Connor: Agrees they are in Perth to the number of maybe 200
birds. Has some doubts about them having been native to WA.
                Appear to be spreading in range.

I. Clark: Suspects the LBCs could be indigenous to WA in that they have
some differences to the ones in Victoria and SA.

I thank you all for your contributions. Now, here is what the three
popoular field guides say about these and some other "ferals" which are
reported ( by Frank) to be in WA.
                        Present, yes or no.
Species         Simpson & Day           Slater          Pizzey

LB Corella              No                      No              No
L. Kookaburra           Yes                     Yes             Yes
L. Turtle Dove  Yes                     Yes             Yes
Sp/ Turtle Dove Yes                     Yes             Yes
Rock Dove               Yes                     No mention      Yes
Mute Swan               Yes                     Yes             Yes
Common Pheasant Yes                     No mention      Yes
Peafowl         Yes                     No mention      Yes
Red-browed Finch        No                      Yes             Yes
C.B. Mannikin           Yes                     Not in South    No
Goldfinch               Yes                     No              No
S.C. Cockatoo           Yes                     Yes             Yes
Rainbow Lorikeet        Yes                     Yes             Yes

Which shows that whilst ageeing on the presence of some species,there is a
hotch-potch of indications in WA for list items 5,7,8,9,10, and 11, and
again none show LB Corellas as present in WA, even though they are known to
be not only there but in many other places as well.
This is all very inconsistent. I believe that bird populations, feral or
otherwise, should be accurately located in the guides. I have no doubt that
many other instances of such inconsistencies could be found if enough time
were taken.I think Messrs Simpson, Slater, and Pizzey should get their acts
together on this. Who's going to tell them?
BTW, no-one volunteered any info on what HANZAB has to say about the
Corellas. Just as I thought, it's too expensive for most of us!

Ok Frank, I've had my say, we can close this thread now.

Tony.
Tony Russell,
45, Ridgefield Ave.,
Paradise.