birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI: Cuckoos in S. Aust

To: RUSSELL DEAN WOODFORD <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI: Cuckoos in S. Aust
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:04:32 +1100
Hello Russell

Horsfield Bronze Cuckoos are commonly seen on the winter wader count in the
Geelong Area - almost always by the people who do Swan Bay (I haven't
checked to see if they did this time but I have often done it myself and
seen them.) Trevor Pescott discusses their "poorly developed migratory
instinct" in his book Birds of Geelong. W F Chats are nesting or at any
rate getting ready to nest in the saltmarsh at this time and H B Cuckoos
parasitize them.

Yes Fan-tailed Cuckoos winter over here but do not call much. Shining
Bronze are very uncommonly reported in winter (but then most summer reports
are of calling birds and if they were here in winter but just lurking
silently they might not be observed, since they don't sit up on things the
way HBCs do.) If you find Shining Bronzes in winter Marilyn Hewish would
surely like to know about them for the Geelong Bird Report.

Margaret

At 09:46 AM 10/07/99 +1000, RUSSELL DEAN WOODFORD wrote:

>Yesterday while doing a wader count at Moolap Saltworks in Geelong several
>observers recorded Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoos.  I saw two at fairly close
>range.  Both were calling often.  My guess is that these are overwintering
>birds.  I know Fantailed Cuckoos often overwinter in Geelong - is it
>likely HB-C's do as well?  And what about Shining Bronze?
>
>Russell Woodford
>
>Russell Woodford
>
>PH: 03 52 739237       MOB:  0419 395 100  FAX:  03 52 739371
>Aural Online           http://www.shc.vic.edu.au/music/index.html
>Birding-Aus Pages      http://www.deakin.edu.au/~russwood/
>

>To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
>Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
>quotes)

Margaret Cameron                        Phone 03 5229 9792
4 Connor Street                         Fax   03 5229 1520
East Geelong
Victoria 3219                           Editor, Australian Birding Magazine
Australia                               PO Box 2013, Geelong, Victoria 3220
                                        Australia

quotes)