birding-aus

birding-aus Oregon ship burning

To: All <>
Subject: birding-aus Oregon ship burning
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:50:52 -0400 (EDT)
Many of these "naturalist" experts around here!
USA Western States, well what can I say ? they say the reason the
Murres starve is too "complicated" but really its simple. I had to
explain the same to the "Beach Naturalist" not so long ago. Wrecks of
Murres are a different matter, these may be very complicated.
Naturally, we have more "wreckage" when conditions do not favour these
wonderful birds ! Past oil spills have really depleted the numbers.
Also the burning and sinking of that grounded vessel off Oregon
probably DID have a greater affect than they think. The oil hangs out
on the surface for a LONG time affecting a few to many murres at any
given time, for years and years.

That's past Oil Spills in plural.