birding-aus

birding-aus Thylacines & black panthers

Subject: birding-aus Thylacines & black panthers
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:31:09 +1000

Russell and others,

I didn't catch the 3LO item Russell referred to, but I recall reading an article
in, I think, the Sunday Age a year or two back, analysing reported sightings of
"things like thylacines" in South Gippsland, and speculating about the
possibility that there may have been unauthorised introductions from Tasmania to
Wilson's Prom or the vicinity around the turn of the century.  An intriguing
concept!   There have been quite a few reports from South Gippsland and the
Latrobe Valley over the years, but none substantiated with unequivocal evidence.
So Stuart, and other visitors to Gippsland in general and The Prom in
particular, keep your cameras loaded and handy!

Regards,

     Jack Krohn

quotes)