birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Pelagic Musings from Trevor Quested(fwd)

To: <>, "Trevor Quested" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Pelagic Musings from Trevor Quested(fwd)
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:51:24 +1000
Trevor and all

I give my best preference towards the Wollongong pelagics even though the
boat is fairly slow getting to the continental shelf. Captain Carl (the
skipper of the Sandra K) can be a bit entertaining at times with his sense
of humour.

 I am still recovering from seeing Blue Petrels and Sooty Albatross (aswell
as all the rest) after 2 weeks ago. The Sooty Albatross is definately ranked
amongst my top birds seen of all time. At the moment, Southern Fulmars seem
to be permanently off our coast from what I hear (a 50/50 chance). There is
"no doubt" some great birds can be seen close to the headland off Sydney
this week with the strong southerly winds, and for those who don't like
going on boats, a chance to see a Fulmar, Blue Petrel etc, only within 100
metres off the rocks is a big possibility if these winds persist. It is like
as if the continental shelf has relocated to Sydney's door step which I have
experienced on a few occassions.

 Getting a little seasick on many occassions  (which I still do, but has not
deterred me from going again on more pelagics) is only a small price to pay
to obtain "great views" of these wonderful birds. Sea sick tablets or sea
bands don't seam to work for me, but it is the interest for these birds that
keeps my spirits up. As a bonus, there is always a great chance to see a
whale or two.

cheers!

Edwin

quotes)