birding-aus

birding-aus Urban Parrots

Subject: birding-aus Urban Parrots
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:58:57 +1000

Morning, all.

Following on from Richard and Mike's comments on Crimson Rosella sightings, they
have been regular autumn winter visitors to the area around our home in Syndal
(part of Glen Waverley, an eastern suburb of Melbourne, about 18 km from the
CBD) since we moved there in February 1996.  They arrive around late March and
are present until the end of August or thereabouts.  Both adult- and
immature-plumaged birds visit, and are conspicuous in terms of numbers and of
behaviour - calling persistently, flying low across open areas and foraging in
quite exposed locations (sometimes including leafless deciduous trees).  They
don't seem to have any conflicts with the Eastern Rosellas and Rainbow Lorikeets
which are present all year round.

What is particularly interesting is that before we moved to Syndal we had lived
in Middleborough Road Burwood (north-west of Syndal) for over ten years - quite
a similar piece of suburbia to our new neighbourhood, ie some open space, quite
a few tall eucalypts in gardens, but no remnant bushland.  In all that time we
never saw one Crimson Rosella, yet the distance between our old home and our
current one is less than 3 km as the Rosella flies.

Regards,

     Jack

quotes)