birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI Perth surrounds

To: Carol de Bruin <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI Perth surrounds
From: Laurence and Leanne Knight <>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 18:56:19 +1000
Carol de Bruin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have the good fortune to visit my sister and her family in Perth for 3
> weeks in Oct/Nov. No doubt they will have plans but I can't be in Oz without
> doing some birding. Please can anyone assist and/or let me know of any bird
> clubs in the area and give info as to what I should try and see or set up.
> Unfortunately I have not got the stamina I used to have due to the necessary
> and appreciated ministrations of the medical profession, so no climbing high
> mountains or hiking for long distances.

Carol, there are no high mountains round Perth, so you have nothing to
worry about in that regard.

The WA Group of the old RAOU put out a book titled "Birdwatching Perth
and Environs" in 1995 - could have been a second edition since then.  I
bought it from the WA Museum years ago.  Herdsman Lk and Bibra Lk are
the places to go for waterfowl, while Alfred Cove and Woodman Point are
good for waders and shorebirds.  Penguin Island and Rottnest Island,
Bold Park and Kings Park are also worth a visit.

Regards, Laurie.

quotes)