birding-aus

birding-aus Channel-billed Cuckoo, Ben

To: "birding Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Channel-billed Cuckoo, Ben
From: Goodfellow <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 99 14:07:26 +0930
Hullo All
Out at Mary River last weekend we came across two adult Channel-billed
Cuckoos feeding in a banyan.  It's the first time I've come across the
bird at this time of year and I'm wondering whether some overwinter in
Australia.  A flock of Rainbow Lorikeets inhabiting the same tree weren't
too chuffed about their arrival!

Incidentally talking about cuckoos Little-bronze Cuckoos are still
calling in my yard and two males were recently chasing a female around in
circles.  They seem to be present in greater numbers this year.   I don't
mind - I think they're great although there's a few gerygones and
honeyeaters who wouldn't agree!

Lat night out at the sewage ponds nothing special to report - Mangrove
Gerygone singing vigorously, plenty of Red-headed Honeyeaters, lots of
Grey Teal - as I was with non-birders I didn't feel I could do more than
have a quick scan.
Next thing a police car turned up and an officer demanded to know if I
had permission to be there.  Martin the caretaker suggested I should have
asked them whether they had permission!

Those who have visited Darwin sewage pond might know of Ben, the 3 metre
crocodile who inhabited same ponds for years.  Almost all the sewage pond
workers liked having him around; Martin even used to stroke his tail when
the crocodile was sunning on the causeway.  However it couldn't last and
someone complained and  Ben was then removed to a crocodile farm. Martin
tells me the workers were so upset they complained to their union who
assuming that Ben was a fellow worker began action on his behalf!

Denise Goodfellow

quotes)