birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI: E+W Malaysia

Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI: E+W Malaysia
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:56:42
Hi Peter -

At 12:54 29/06/1999 +0000, you wrote:

>3.  E Malaysia:  My friend has tentatively planned to visit Kuching (+
Bako NP),
>Sibu, Miri (+ Niah NP), Kota Kinabalu (+ Tunku Abdul Raman Park) and
>Sandakan.  Are any of these good birding areas?  Are there any other good
>birding sites near to these places and are there any other not-to-be-missed
>birding sites in E Malaysia?

With regard to your friend's proposed places to visit in Sabah, East
Malaysia - Tunku Abdul Rahman NP consists of some islands just off Kota
Kinabalu (KK - the State capital) and are good to visit if you want the
tropical beach experience and to do some snorkelling.  There would be a few
interesting birds, but the richness would not compare with the lowland
forests of the east coast around Sandakan and further south, such as the
Danum Valley.  One place you have not mentioned is Kinabalu NP, reachable
by a roughly 2 hour drive from KK, where your friend would see the montane
birds (the avifauna in Borneo changes quite dramatically above 1000m
a.s.l., with a much greater degree of endemism), including some you are not
likely to see anywhere else.  It should be possible to arrange transport
to, and accommodation at, Kinabalu NP through a travel agency.

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps,
Birds Australia,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East, VIC 3123, Australia.
Tel: (03) 9882 2622. Fax: (03) 9882 2677.
O/s: +61 3 9882 2622. Fax: +61 3 9882 2677.

PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS
Email: <>
Web Homepage: http://www.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus/

quotes)