birding-aus

birding-aus Canberra birds

Subject: birding-aus Canberra birds
From: "Pat O'Malley" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 20:54:53 +1000
Just a few notes that might interest Canberra types. Also a query.

Stephen Mugford and I watched a flock of 30+ dusky woodswallows at
Jerabomberra (sp?) wetlands, Friday 25th June. Seemed out of season
according to the local atlas which has them long gone this time of year.

Also came across about 8-10 White Throated Gerygone at Campbell Park today
(Sunday 27th), in a loose mixed feeding flock with Buff Rumped, possibly
Yellow Rumped and (at least two) brown thornbills. I've come across the
WTGs in ones and twos at this location, but this number seemed odd - and
again are they normally around here this time of year?

Last concerns same spot, and Yellow Thornbills. I'm not as familiar with
these as i should be, but there were quite a few birds answering the
desciption, and the call sounded exactly right: but they were paler than
the northern birds I 've seen. Any advice? Several of the birds were
banded: red on both legs.

Pat O'Malley

quotes)