birding-aus

birding-aus Thanks for Information on Cairns & Kuranda

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Thanks for Information on Cairns & Kuranda
From: "Victor Yue" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:10:58 +0800
Hi folks,
I want to thank the wonderful folks on this list who responded to my request for
information on Cairns and Kuranda. My only regret was that I did not ask earlier
and by the time I have all the wonderful stuff, my wife had booked a package out
of Singapore. But, the information was still useful.

As this trip was meant for the kids, I just did birdwatching "by the way" and I
still enjoyed it. But I am keeping the wonderful information for the next trip.
Yes, there will be more trips after reading all the interesting reports and
tips. I did a few walks along the Esplanade on the way to the city-centre with
the kids. My first bird there was very familiar - the Common Mynah! (^^) That my
kids could recognise! After that, it was adventure and lifers. I also saw the
Beach Stone Curlew (a lifer of course, and it took me sometime to identify it),
as reported by Keith & Lindsay on the Birding-Aus list.

Thanks to the tip from Syd, I picked up the Book on "Birds of Queensland's Wet
Tropics and Great Barrier Reef" by lloyd Nielsen. It is an interesting book in
the way it is arranged and helped me in looking up the birds.

Because of the short notice in our booking, we could not stay longer (all
Singaporeans are rushing back just before the school holidays end this week) and
so we had to be contented with 2 days in Cairns and 2 days in Kuranda.

In Kuranda, we had only one day and kids wanted to do some sightseeing while the
mothers (we were two families) wanted to do shopping. So, I had to be contented
with watching the birds at the Kuranda Village Centre [saw a White-breasted
Woodswallow - could anyone verify if my identification is correct. (^^)] and
from the balconey of our chalet in the Rainforest Resort [saw a Black
Butcherbird (is this correct?), Rufous Whistlers, Yellow-spotted Honeyeater,
Helmeted Friarbird (?) and three Australian Brush-turkeys that looked very
tame]. It has "whet my appetite" (^^) [Don't read this with a Chinese frame of
mind <I am a Chinese> (^^)]

The friendly lady at the Kuranda EnviroCare Inc (in Kuranda Rainforest Resort)
gave me Phil's phone number when I enquired from her about the whereabout of
Cassowary House. Unfortunately, I was not able to give Phil a call. My
apologies, Phil.

Well, the next time, I know how I could arrange for my trip starting from
Cairns. Daintree will be another place in mind, and of course, the Tablelands.

To Phil, Chris, Reg, Tom & Dixie (USA), Syd, Lorne, Keith & Lindsay, and
Russell, thank you very much. You have helped made our stay in Cairns and
Kuranda much more wonderful. Our only wish was it should have been longer and
for me, a few days off for "serious birding". (^^) But I want to assure you
folks that your tips will be kept for our next trip. Of course, by then, I would
come again asking for updates. (^^)

Thank you once again,
And if you are passing this way (Singapore), please drop me a line, I would be
most happy to show you a little of Singapore. (^^)

Victor Yue
email:
[Birds&Butterflies] Web:
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/5712/index.html
[nature-singapore] Web: http://www.eGroups.com/list/nature-singapore
[nature-singapore] To subscribe: Send blank email to:

quotes)