birding-aus

birding-aus Inland Thornbill imitating Grey Honeyeater

Subject: birding-aus Inland Thornbill imitating Grey Honeyeater
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:27:46 +0800

I recently showed Maureen Mott from Queensland around the south west of
Western Australia.  One bird we particularly wanted to see was a Grey
Honeyeater.  These have been reported along the road from Geraldton to Mt
Magnet, especially near Yalgoo.

We stopped about 8 times in various areas along this road, especially where
there was a species of mulga with reddish trunk / branches and a grey
peeling bark (does anyone know the name of this species?).  I played the
BOCA tape of the Grey Honeyeater at each site.

There was no response except at one site.  I followed the call and there
was a small grey bird at the top of a dead 3 metre tree.  I didn't quite
get the binoculars on it before it flew, and I thought that this was it!  I
went in the direction of where the bird flew towards a patch of taller
trees and relocated the bird.  It began calling again, and I finally got my
binoculars on it as it moved through the leaves to reveal an Inland
Thornbill.  I saw it make the call of the Grey Honeyeater at least twice
more.

What a disappointment!

We failed to locate the Grey Honeyeater along this road, or near Mt Magnet,
or on Nallan Station, or along the Payne's Find to Sandstone Road.
Unfortunately the road from Payne's Find south to Beacon (where I have seen
Grey Honeyeater in September 1997) was still closed after heavy rain
several weeks earlier.  There were Inland Thornbills seen at several more
sites, but none ever tried to imitate the tape.

quotes)