birding-aus

birding-aus The 2nd Great Killawarra Regent Hunt

Subject: birding-aus The 2nd Great Killawarra Regent Hunt
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:47:40 +1000
The second Great Killawarra Regent Hunt was conducted over the long
      weekend.  Participants were Robyn & Steven Atkinson, Margaret
      Cameron, Smathi Chong, Garry & Lisa Deyton, Richard Everett, David
      Geering, Steve Seymour, Joy Tansey, Steven Tucker, Pat Ward, Tom
      Wheller and Frances White.  People came from as far afield as
      Geelong, Melbourne, Wangaratta, Numurkah and Deniliquin.  The Regents
      fame has spread far and wide with one hardy person coming
      (indirectly) from Malaysia.

The aim of the weekend was to, again, survey the forest, a major Mugga
      Ironbark forest north of Wangaratta, north-east Victoria, to help
      establish just how important this forest is for Regent Honeyeaters.

Unlike the 1st Regent Hunt in April and my trip there for the May national
      survey the weather was not terribly kind to us.  The Saturday started
      very nicely but a fog rolled in mid-morning bringing with it colder
      air.  It remained heavily overcast all weekend with the rain starting
      about 11.00AM Sunday.  The rest of the weekend was cold (I can't over
      emphasis COLD) and wet.  There were, however, enough breaks in the
      rain to get things done.  The saving grace of the weekend was the
      fire, which was moved under cover on the Sunday.  There was no doubt
      that this maintained the spirits of everyone there.

The flowering of the Mugga Ironbark is on the wane with perhaps only about
      20% of trees now in flower.  This meant that the number of friarbirds
      had fallen considerably, although Noisy and Little Friarbirds were
      still among the most common species in the forest.

Despite the cold and wet, we soldered on and saw some nice birds.
      Highlights, as for the first "Hunt", were Swift Parrots, although the
      number had fallen, and two pairs of Regent Honeyeater.  Excellent
      views were had by everyone of both species.   Other highlights were
      Stubble Quail, Peregrine Falcon, Diamond Firetail, Speckled Warbler,
      Red-capped Robin and Hooded Robin.

Because of the amount of water lying around I thought that watching the
      dams, which was so profitable in April, was not worth doing.
      However, while watching a pair of Regents by one dam a third bird
      came in and bathed - in freezing conditions!!!   I think we can now
      start to understand why they are so endangered in Victoria!!

Species seen in the Killawarra forest itself follow.  A further six species
      were seen just outside the forest.  The next Great Killawarra Regent
      Hunt will be conducted on the long weekend, 10-11 July, the second
      national survey will be held 7-8 August and the final Killawarra
      Regent Hunt in early September (dates to be confirmed).  Further
      details from me.  Good weather has been booked.

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator

Killawarra State Forest   -   12/06 to 14/06/99

Australian Wood Duck
Collared Sparrowhawk
Peregrine Falcon
Common Bronzewing