birding-aus

Re: birding-aus strange birds on films

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus strange birds on films
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:06:25 +1000
Cilla Kinross wrote:

> The weirdest one I heard was a kookaburra  in a very old version of
> the thriller Cape Fear, which is set in the Louisiana swamps.  As far
> as I know there are no kookaburras wild  in US (or am I wrong?)
> (although they do have the most fantastic diurnal fishing owls).

This is probably a carry-over from the "Tarzan" TV(?) series -
apparently they thought that kookaburra calls made the set more
jungle-like?!

Probably the best (worst?) example of misplaced bird calls that
I've encountered was the 1996 movie adaptation of Michael Crichton's
novel "Congo".  Not only did they use the traditional kookaburra
calls, but also at least half a dozen Aussie birdcalls including
Magpies!  It provided some comic relief for what was otherwise a
pretty average Hollywood-formula horror/thriller movie.