birding-aus

birding-aus Colour-changes in Regent

Subject: birding-aus Colour-changes in Regent
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:29:53 +1000
 Anthea wrote: "I have seen a suggestion that the facial wattle round the
Regent Honeyeater's eye varies in colour - blushing bright red at emotional
moments, such as nest change-over, from pink in breeding pairs.  It is
paler and yellower in nonbreeding and immature birds."

This is something that I often hear or see written.  I remain far from
convinced that these changes are as marked, or even occur, as is generally
claimed.

Firstly, I can confidently say that the colour does not blush bright red as
a result of stress or "emotion" as does, for example, the wattles of the
Jacana.  Unfortunately Anthea picked a bad example in nest change-over as
the male Regent Honeyeater (like many honeyeaters) does not share in nest
duties.  Nevertheless, I have many hours of experience with breeding
Regents and have yet to see a change in face colour.  I have also handled
over 300 Regent Honeyeaters for banding and noted facial colour in many
birds - all were as they would be described in the field and so did not
change as a result of this "stress".  I have given up noting facial colour
as I saw no evidence of a change in colour either between the breeding and
non-breeding season or as a result of external stimuli.

I think the facial colour as shown by Slater in his field is misleading as
people expect to see a red face.  Some beginners have expressed doubt to me
that the bird they saw was in fact a Regent Honeyeater as the face wasn't
red as depicted in the guide.

Having said all that I have seen the (very) occasional bird in the hand
that has had a small patch of red/purple of the facial area.  This often
consists of just a wart or two.  Overall though this would not be
detectable other than in the hand and the overall impression is of a
yellowish face.

I would be happy to hear from anyone who has conclusively seen a
"red-faced" Regent Honeyeater.

David Geering

quotes)