birding-aus

Re: birding-aus "Living Edens" doco on ABC - some nitpicking

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus "Living Edens" doco on ABC - some nitpicking
From: Malea Kneen <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:44:48 -0400
We saw the Borneo edition of "Living Edens" here (Michigan, US) a couple of
months ago and were looking forward to it having been to some of the areas
featured in the trailers.  As I recall, the music soundtrack was quite
revolting - cutesy music for baby orangs, dramatic music for something
getting eaten etc. - all a bit too obvious and really more suited to a
Disney program.  I'd have to say that that really put me off concentrating
too much on the rest of the program!  However, I felt adverse human imapct
in the areas covered was really glossed over.  For example, a major reason
that there are refuges full of orphaned baby orangs is that they are
abandoned by their mothers (or worse, their mothers are killed) in the wake
of forest clearing operations to set up great swathes of oil palm
plantation throughout both Sabah and Sarawak - there does not seem to be
much future for these animals as adults while that activity goes unchecked.
We were also somewhat disappointed at the seeming lack of diversity of
species shown on the program - we saw (didn't necessarily identify!!!!) so
many different species in a short time there that I'd have imagined a film
crew with better resources than us could have done a bit better, perhaps.

Malea

Malea Kneen
College of Pharmacy 1028
University of Michigan