birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI Mid North Coast

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI Mid North Coast
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:50:38 +1000

I will be away on the June Long weekend 12-13th June on NSW's mid-north coast. I will be based at Coffs Harbour for most of the time and will like to know of good birding areas in the vicinity.

---snip
Edwin

Edwin & others,

Not sure on the birding spots, sorry.  But just a note, in case you are interested, on the whale migration.  Humpback whales will now be migrating up along the east coast, so if you are around any cliff tops keep a look out to sea (while still birding, of course!!).    I'm off to Sydney in 2 weeks to help with a whale survey up there.   It was actually serious whale watching that got me interested in birding.... in the breaks between whales, I'd be watching the birds with my binoculars.    If I witnessed a spectacular dive into the sea by a bird, I couldn't help but let out a "WOW, DID YOU SEE THAT!!".  My fellow whale enthusiasts, on a couple of occasions, almost threw me off the clifftops, as they'd keep jumping thinking I'd spotted a whale.  After that I started adventuring out on the wonderful Pelagic trips, seeing some fantastic sea birds and it has all blossomed since then.

If you want any more specific area's re whale watching along the way, feel free to give me an email.  Oh, and my apologies if nobody is interested  ;-)

Rgds
Karen
Hampton, Vic.