birding-aus

birding-aus Warumbungles

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Warumbungles
From: "Paul & Irene Osborn" <>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:13:36 +1000
Had a very pleasant 4 days in the Warumbungles National Park (Central NSW,
near Coonabarrabran, approx. 31 17S 149 00E), from 20-24th May. Last time I
was there in May (1994) the Ironbarks in the main camping area were in full
flower and were being used by about 30 Regent Honeyeaters and there were 3
Superb Parrots in the camping area. This year the ironbarks were covered in
blossom (some pink, some cream) but contained numerous Noisy Friarbirds,
Noisy Miners and Blue-faced Honeyeaters. Add to this the large contingent of
Pied Currawongs, some 15 or so Galahs and a big flock of Sulphur-crested
Cockatoos and the din was indescribable. Amongst this garrulous lot we
managed to find one Little Friarbird and, on the last morning, a pair of
Superb Parrots. No sign of any Turquoise Parrots (the first time I've failed
to find them here in 6 trips) and we could only find one Diamond Firetail.
Away from the camping area, in more forested country, there were plenty of
other Honeyeaters, including Striped, Spiny-cheeked, Yellow-faced,
Yellow-tufted, White-plumed, White-naped and White-eared. Lots of Common
Bronzewings about plus a couple of Spotted Quail-thrush and some Crested
Shrike-tits. Talk of White-backed Swallows on birding-aus had whetted my
appetite to see them again as this is where my wife found me my first group
of these beautiful birds, but alas, none to be found. An hour's spotlighting
one night turned up a lone Barn Owl and nothing else but Kangaroos and
Rabbits. Saw a few Cockatiels around Coolah on the way there and back and
further east between Cassilis and Merriwa, perhaps these birds are expanding
eastward into the Hunter Valley as a result of land clearing?

The weather was perfect for the four days and we had a wonderful time,
despite the severe weed problem in the cleared areas and the overabundance
of Eastern Grey Kangaroos, to which the tourists continue to feed bits of
bread, despite the signs attempting to dissuade them. The 'roos are slowly
becoming a nuisance, as are the Currawongs which are likewise fed this
inappropriate food. This will not discourage me from returning to one of my
favourite National Parks, however.

Paul Osborn

quotes)