birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Blue-billed Duck

To: Nick <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Blue-billed Duck
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 19:02:38 +1000
> Nick wrote:
>
> This one is mainly for the Canberra birders
>
> On Sunday morning when checking out the Freckled Ducks at the Sewerage
> Treatment Works (along with a few other
) I came across a Blue-billed
> Duck on the middle pond closest to the airport. This seemed a strange
> place to find one, so I was wondering if anyone else saw it or has seen
> one there before. I will bet the farm thats what it was, and i am pretty
> sure it is not one for John Leonard's mistaken ID report! (sorry i forgot
> to ask you when i saw you John).

The Fyshwick Sewerage Treatment Works "Lagoons" (as they call them) on
Dairy Flat Road are probably the easiest and most reliable place to see
Blue-billed Ducks in the ACT.  At least one male has been present there
for well over a year, originally on the back left pond (closest to the
airport), but it has recently moved to the middle pond where you found
it.  Occasionally they can be lurking in the reeds and swim out only when
you approach (or not at all), so I suspect they are resident.

P.S. The three Freckled Ducks were still on the front left (closest to the
stile) pond as of 4pm Sunday 30/5/99, despite the rain.