birding-aus

birding-aus Bird deaths at Collinsville Qld

Subject: birding-aus Bird deaths at Collinsville Qld
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:51:20 PDT
Gooday all,
I must say that I am very shocked with the news contained in the Bowen Independent of Friday 28 May 1999. Article reprinted as follows
"What's killing the birds?
Many local residents phoned the local Collinsville Bowen Independent office on Wednesday with reports on many sick and dead birds at the local rubbish tip. A spokesperson from the Bowen Shire Council's Collinsville Office said staff had been inundated with calls throughout the day in reference to the fate of the birds. Crows, Magpies and an Eagle were found last Wednesday, some already dead and others close enough to death. One resident removed one of the eagles, took it home and cared for it, hoping it would recover, but the eagle died soon after. The council spokesperson said up until 3.30pm on Wednesday, council had no idea what could have happened to the birds.
The spokesperson said the local council had used no poisons at the tip.
Council intended to cover the dump yesterday to try to prevent more bird deaths" end.

On Tuesday 25 and Wednesday 26 May I conducted a BOP watch between Pring Rail Depot just north of Bowen to the Newlands Coal Mine 150 Km SW of Bowen, this takes the train through Collinsville which is approx. midway for the trip
Count figures are as follows:
25/5 Newlands to Pring 0915-13.30 (60) Wedge-tailed Eagle 9, Whistling Kite 1, Black Kite 3, Nankeen Kestrel 3 unidentified 2.

26/5 Collinsville to Newlands 06.20-07.45 73Km Wedge-tailed Eagle 14, Whistling Kite 1, Black Kite 4, Nankeen Kestrel 2 unidentified 2.

26/5 Newlands to Pring Wedge-tailed eagle 8, Brown Falcon 1, Black Kite 17, Nankeen Kestrel 5, Spotted Harrier 1, unidentified 2.

I will keep you posted on the bird death news at Collinsville. This is the first time since I have been in Bowen that this event has taken place. Are there any other similar reports?

Jon Wren
PO Box 868
Bowen
Queensland