birding-aus

birding-aus S & D on CD

Subject: birding-aus S & D on CD
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:30:57 +1000
I just got hold of version 5.0 of this CD, published by Natural Learning.

The advantage of it is that it includes bird-song, and version 5.0 now has
655 birdsongs, including groups that it didn't have before, such as corvids,
Honeyeaters, finches and so on (the songs are taken from the Buckingham and
Jackson tapes and they have only recently completed the set).

Anyway I find this a very convenient way of listening to bird-song, the
songs are of course not as full as on the tapes, typically only 20 seconds
or so, but it gives the main call and an idea of timbre and so forth, and
you can access the .wav files directly from the CD, instead of via the
program. These .wav files, as someone pointed out recently, have had
horrible things done to them from a song-recordist's point of view,
filtering and so on (presumably to decrease their size), so they're no good
for sonagrams and similar things, but on PC speakers they sound all right.

A new feature of version 5 is a Bird-song Identifier, which I haven't played
around with yet, but which may be of use. You select from a long list of
alternatives such as 'buzz', 'whistle', 'tweet' &c and it gives you a list
of calls that might be described under that heading, and you can select from
them?cute.

It costs $49.95, and I have no finnacial interest in Natural Learning or in
promting its products, it goes without saying.

John Leonard

John Leonard (Dr),
PO Box 243,
Woden, ACT 2606,