birding-aus

birding-aus Regent HE & Swift Parrot Survey in the Hunter Valley 23/5/99

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Regent HE & Swift Parrot Survey in the Hunter Valley 23/5/99
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 21:15:13 +1000

For myself, last years Regent Honeyeater & Swift Parrot survey was a success ( with both species seen at the one place and same time). This years is another story. I saw not even one of these target birds but had a great day out birding. Myself, David Koffel and an overseas visitor, Stuart White from Ireland, set off early today up the Putty road and to Bulga, about 2 ½ hours drive north-west of Sydney and in the Hunter Valley. The only trees seen in flower were the Narrow-leaved Ironbarks (Eucalyptus crebra) but were not attractive for any of the Honeyeaters about. Some of the birds seen here included several Red-capped Robins (included 3 males chasing each other), Hooded Robins, many Speckled Warblers, Rock Warbler, Grey-crowned Babblers, Brown Treecreepers and a magnificent White-backed Swallow (with it fairly loud but pleasant rolling call) near the McDonald River Bridge. Worth of note were 9 Striated Pardalotes perched together on the same branch of a dead tree (some with wings out-stretched giving some sort of display. Would’ve made a great photo) and in a small dam, 8 Yellow-billed Spoonbills were seen feeding together.

The next survey spot was Howes Valley, where several White-naped and a few Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters were seen but not much else. A nice pair of Hooded Robins were seen perched in somebodies garden were the owner said that all he had was a few Sparrows about.

The final spot was the Putty Valley, were we saw a pair of Scarlet Robins (the female had a nice scarlet wash on its chest). We also heard a Glossy Black-cockatoo call once, but unfortunately could not produce Stuart a great tick.

Though none of the target species was seen, we had some great weather for this time of year, and some good birds.

Just watched a show on channel 2 about South Georgia Island. Quite a good show which featured Wandering, Light-mantled Sooty and Grey-headed Albatross, aswell as Blue, Snow and White-chinned Petrels (wouldn’t they all make a good pelagic trip!!!!).

Edwin