birding-aus

birding-aus Musk Lorikeets in the Sydney area

To: Russell <>
Subject: birding-aus Musk Lorikeets in the Sydney area
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:25:23 +1100

So much food for Musk Lorikeets

The Musk Lorikeets in my area of Seven Hills (40km west of Sydney) have
been around for nearly 3 months (in previous years they have usually only
stayed once or twice a year for about 2-3 weeks on each visit). Now they
appear to be feeding on lerps with many Rainbow Lorikeets on both Grey Box
and Spotted Gums (they were first attracted to the flowering Grey Box back
in February). Is there a lerp infestation around Sydney at the moment ?
Today I saw a flock of around 30 flying over and heard more Musks still
feeding in nearby trees. Numbers of Musk Lorikeets have increased since I
first noticed them about 3 months ago. Sooner or later a Swift Parrot will
turn up !!! (these turn up in my area possibly every 3-4 years).

Edwin

Dear all

On Saturday I found around 30 Musk Lorikeets feeding in pink and cream
flowering ironbarks (E.Sideoxylon) off Clara Road, back of St. Mary's
School, Erskineville Road - they flew off n-w as soon as I arrived with
just Red Wattlebirds remaining. They have been here for around a month and
usually fly late afternoon always off n-w  towards Leichhardt/Rozelle.

Sunday I was at Botany Bay Nat.Park with Harry Roberts - the Swamp Mahogany
is just coming into heavy flower and there were large numbers (40 plus) of
Musk Lorikeets feeding and playing in the trees - one pair  hanging upside
down in the centre of a tree chewing the legs or any part within reach of
its partner and making a different call - more warbly - difficult to
describe. The trees around the Information Centre will be flowering for
some time so anyone who still hasn't seen a Musk, get down there for a
picnic on a nice sunny day and watch the birds!

At the Rifle range at Maroubra Sunday  we saw one Spotless Crake in flight
and heard others and saw lots of recent footprints, but no Lewins or
Buff-breasted.

quotes)