birding-aus

birding-aus So much food for Musk Lorikeets

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus So much food for Musk Lorikeets
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 21:06:41 +1000
The Musk Lorikeets in my area of Seven Hills (40km west of Sydney) have been around for nearly 3 months (in previous years they have usually only stayed once or twice a year for about 2-3 weeks on each visit). Now they appear to be feeding on lerps with many Rainbow Lorikeets on both Grey Box and Spotted Gums (they were first attracted to the flowering Grey Box back in February). Is there a lerp infestation around Sydney at the moment ? Today I saw a flock of around 30 flying over and heard more Musks still feeding in nearby trees. Numbers of Musk Lorikeets have increased since I first noticed them about 3 months ago. Sooner or later a Swift Parrot will turn up !!! (these turn up in my area possibly every 3-4 years).

Edwin