birding-aus

birding-aus Shy Emu-wrens-Not!

Subject: birding-aus Shy Emu-wrens-Not!
From: "Paul McDonald" <>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 08:10:03 +1000
On the reason shy/bold topics,

My fiancee and I were walking in Royal NP recently (the big park south of
Sydney, Aus) when I heard emu-wrens. My partner is not a birder, but enjoys
seeing new things and cute little birds. I started squeaking to the wrens as
usual, and the party of 5 birds came in to us and around as usual. Then one
particualrly bold female even hoped out along a shrub and perched on my hat
for 20-30 secs!

I think it is all a simple extension of Murphy's Law, I had just finished
telling her
how hard it was to get a good look at this species, which is typically shy and
skulking....

It is remeniscent of the Eyrean Grasswren, Lewin's Rail and Grey Falcon
stories I have. Just tell a non-birder how hard things are to find. Sure enough
they turn up to prove you wrong, which is fine by me ;)

Paul
Paul McDonald
Department of Biological Sciences
Division of Environmental and Life Sciences
Macquarie University, Sydney NSW, 2109
Australia
Phone: (02) 9850 8191 Fax: (02) 9850 8245

http://www.bio.mq.edu.au/ecology/