birding-aus

birding-aus Bulging crops

To: "Johnson, Fiona" <>, <>
Subject: birding-aus Bulging crops
From: "Michael Todd" <>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 00:10:46 +1000
Secondly, my father found a dead feral pigeon in his house yard at Pearl
Beach (just north of Sydney).  The only mark or injury he could find on the
pigeon was a hole in its crop.  Apparently the crop was bulging and three
different types of small seeds were spilling out.  My father asked if a bird
could possibly fill its crop and then have the contents expand with
moisture, causing the crop to rupture.  Can anyone advise if this is
possible?  Or is it more likely the cause of death was from something
unrelated?
Hello Fiona,

I've sampled seeds from the crops of a lot of finches and I would think that it was unlikely that a bird could die from having the contents expand rupturing the crop. For starters, the seeds don't stay in the crop for very long. Off the top of my head (i haven't analysed this before- maybe I should!) after about an hour a half full crop would be just about empty, so I don't think that there is time for seeds to expand enough to rupture the crop. I am of course, assuming that pigeons would be much the same as finches in their crop function.

Regards,

Mick

Michael Todd
Finch Researcher,