birding-aus

birding-aus Emu imitating bull

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Emu imitating bull
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 02:29:08 +0100
This morning, on my way to a late breakfast on Bribie Island (north of
Brisbane, SEQ), I drove past an Emu that was strolling across a small piece
of parkland.  I stopped to see what was going to happen as the Emu was, in
fact, walking purposefully towards the road.  It stopped by the side of the
road and appeared to be observing the traffic before crossing towards more
'appropriate' habitat.  Aha, I thought, we have an intelligent Emu.

However, the Emu was choosing its moment carefully.  When the traffic was
pretty much continuous in both directions, it strode out right in front of a
red car.  Fortunately, the driver was not one of those curios, a Bribie-only
licence holder, and managed to take evasive action.  Clearly the Emu was
displaying the same reaction as a bull does to a red flag.  I understand
that the wildlife rangers on Bribie Island are trying to remove all domestic
cattle from the island for this very reason.  We must protect our Emus from
picking up bad habits.

Trevor.

quotes)