birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Cockatoo flying behaviour

To: John Gamblin <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Cockatoo flying behaviour
From: Laurence Knight <>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 18:16:28 +1000
John Gamblin wrote:

> What I have picked up on lately is when my local Rainbow Lorikeets are
> in flight and utter a call they increase their height in flight ? and
> the call matches the wing movement ?
> anyone ?

I can't say that I've noticed.  {To date I would have said that RB
Lorikeets zip along like cruise missiles].

We had a nice view of a noisy pitta beside the track near Jeynes Falls
at the Eagle Hts side of Tamborine Mt [one hour s of Brisbane].  It
perched very obligingly about 5 metres away and turned around to face us
so we have a nice view of its golden chest [generally we just see the
arse end of a pitta].

I also had a nice view of a striated heron at the southern end of Nudgee
Beach [just across from the airport] round 5pm on Sat.  I often see them
there, but as you would expect from a bird that rejoices in name of
mangrove bittern, they are generally lurking in the vegetation.
However, this fellow was right out beside the river channel [a good 20
metres from cover] and pottering along the edge of the water like a
shorebird.  When flushed, the heron flew low over the water and perched
on a conveniently located yacht.

I think I saw a grey plover in its breeding plumage [but it was getting
a bit dark].

LK

quotes)