birding-aus

birding-aus Glen Davis birding - 3 hours west of Sydney, New South Wales

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Glen Davis birding - 3 hours west of Sydney, New South Wales
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 07:23:38 +1000

Taking overseas birders out is a tense business.  Will everything they have read about the place from the available bird finding books come true?  Usually not.  However, given the right habitat, birds should be about and yesterday was no exception.  This was more a reconnaissance visit to see if I could find Regent Honeyeaters.  I didn't but it looks good.

The first fluke was having a Brush Bronzewing walking along the Bell's Line of Road near the Mt. Wilson turnoff.  Bet that won't be there next week!  Into the valley and we first stopped where the white box (Euc. albens) begins on the second tarred section of road.  There were lots of birds here.  Always a good place to stop.  A dozen Gang Gangs fed on native pine nuts. Sun shining through red curly combs on 4 males in the one tree was very nice.  Will they be here for my American visitor next week?

The Fuscous Honeyeaters were almost deafening.  Lerps were on the leaves attracted many birds.  We saw Shrike-tits, Striped Honeyeaters, Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters,Diamond Firetails and many other species in the 3/4 hour we spent here. A stop at the broken windmill and tanks added White-browed Babbler, Brown Goshawk, Little Eagle and Double-barred Finch.

Lower down the road we saw a Hawthorn bush full of Zebra Finches and Southern Whiteface. At the Glenolan Road bridge, 10 minutes past Glen Alice, We saw 4 White-backed Swallows, Hooded Robin, Restless Flycatcher, Brown Falcons, Wedge-tailed Eagle, a pair of Plum-headed Finch, and 10 Tree Martins.

We went to the Goollooinboin homestead and booked a room at Grove Cottage, then went exploring on the property.  We glimpsed 4 Turquoise Parrots flying through more White Box.  Wonder if we will get good views of them for the visitor?

I could not find the Regent or Black Chinned Honeyeaters but feel with a bit of work,  they will be about.
The long grasses on the properties lower down for the Plum-headed Finch seen to be gone but the last two visits the Glenolan Road have produced them.  There is no mistletoe on the River Oak to produce Regents at Glenolan Road bridge.  I saw and heard more Striped Honeyeaters at four stops throughout the valley.  They were in White Box and Yellow Box.

In the Capertee valley we saw 76 species.

Trevor  & Annie Quested
Sydney,  Australia

Phone   +61 2 9955 6266
Fax  + 61 2  9959 4005