birding-aus

birding-aus Neck-swaying White-faced Heron

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Neck-swaying White-faced Heron
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:24:00 +1000
Fascinating antics in the bedroom, but I was innocent, I promise! All I was
doing was trying to make the bed.

A White-faced Heron on a morning search for food stepped stealthily
alongside the glass walls of our bedroom. I was about 5 metres away. I
crouched behind the bed, and watched, fascinated as the heron searched the
garden bed for food. As it appeared to lock eyes on prospective prey, there
began a steady swaying of the neck from side to side, whilst the body and
head remained stock still. This lasted perhaps ten seconds. Then there was
a swift, successful lunge for prey. This was done several times with
varying degrees of success.

The neck swaying seemed to me to be counter-productive to the exercise. I
confirmed in HANZAB that the behaviour has been documented, during the
search for food, but I failed to come up with any benefits which could
result from this behaviour. Surely live prey could  be alerted by this
movement. Perhaps the movement is involuntary. Perhaps the neck is
preparing to receive and transport food? Even quivering with excitement? I
know I was,trying to work it out!

Any ideas out there?

Regards,

Jill