birding-aus

birding-aus Hooded Robin in Cobbitty, 55km south west of Sydney

To: "sandy charbonneau" <>, "Rod Gardner" <>, "Chris Gladwin" <>, "Peter Mackey" <>, "Ian Puckrin" <>, "Bill Rankin" <>, "Gerry Richards" <>, "Vella, Edwin" <>
Subject: birding-aus Hooded Robin in Cobbitty, 55km south west of Sydney
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 18:45:22 +1000
Following a tip off from Edwin Vella, we went to Cobbitty Road, Cobbitty today to look for Hooded Robins.  It was on that section of Cobbitty Road west of The Northern Road, along 200 metres and on the south side of the road opposite the entrance to the Macarthur Anglican School.

We saw the Hooded Robin about 100 metres in and  6 Speckled Warblers as well as many other species we would expect.  After, we went around to find the owner and went to a horse farm that had a large old house with an entrance off The Northern Road. We spoke to Jim who said a Mrs Terry had cattle in there. He said that she lived in Oakdale and wouldn't mind us birdwatching.

The property is quite big with an excellent coverage of Grey Box (Euc. mollucana), Forest Red Gum (Euc. tereticornis), Swamp Oak (casuarina glauca) with a good Blackthorn (bursaria spinosa) understorey.  One can assume the other birds disappearing from the Sydney area like the Diamond Firetail and the Brown Treecreeper may turn up. Good luck getting over the barbed wire fence everyone!
Oh, watch for the bulls too!
Trevor

Trevor  & Annie Quested
Sydney,  Australia