birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Leeches for lunch?

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Leeches for lunch?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:51:59 +1000
     Carol

     Barker and Vestjens in their "The Food of Australian Birds" lists only
     three species as recorded in the literature eating leeches.
     They are the;

     Sacred Ibis      From Carrick's study of Sacred and Straw-necked Ibis,
                      CSIRO Wildl. Res. 4:69-92  (1959).

     Straw-necked Ibis    From Carrick (1959).

     Musk Duck     Record from CSIRO Collection.

     As these three species are seldom seen in Rainforest the leeches do
     not have much to worry about.There are probably a number of waterbirds
     which commonly eat leeches but have not been recorded.

     Best wishes

     Alan Leishman