birding-aus

birding-aus Great and red knots

Subject: birding-aus Great and red knots
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:44:24 +1100
Hi everyone,
I was down at Phillip Island (westernport Bay, Victoria) again on the
weekend and walked to Observation Pt to have a last look at the
waders before most of them disappear.  You might remember I also was
there last weekend and the birds seen were not substantially
different but I did get a good look at the flock of Red Knots and it
included at least five Great Knots.  I have not previously seen mixed
flocks of Great and Red Knots so it was very nice to be able to
compare the two species side by side.  It was also nice that some of
both species were in almost full breeding plumage making the
differences even more marked.  Other differences inculded less
Bar-tailed Godwits, no Eastern Curlews, no Curlew Sandpipers, but
some Common Greenshanks and a couple of Flame Robins.  The full list was

Tide high, 10/4/99, time approx 4.45-5.30pm
Australian Pelican 2
Pacific Gull 150
Silver Gull
Crested Tern >30
Caspian Tern 15
Pied Oystercatcher 38
Pied Cormorant 3
Royal Spoonbill 12
Australian White Ibis
Masked Lapwing
Double-banded Dotterel 2
Red-necked Stint 5
Great Knot 5
Red Knot 50-100
Bar-tailed Godwit approx. 50
Whimbrel 8
Common Greenshank 15
White-faced Heron
Chestnut Teal
Black Swan 110
White-fronted Chat
Flame Robin 2 (right at the sand/scrub zone)

Best Wishes
John Boyce

quotes)