birding-aus

Re: birding-aus 2 snakes in need of ID

Subject: Re: birding-aus 2 snakes in need of ID
From: Jeff Crocombe <>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:41:34 +1000
I believe that snake #2: seen on road near Winton in Mulga country, very
large (2m long), boldly striped black and cream, or greenish cream
(light was poor), head and first 10 cm of neck jet black, is a
Black-headed python Aspidites melanocephalus, which grows to 2.5m in
length.

Snake #2: seen on a gibber ridge near Coober Pedy, .8 of metre long,
brownish with final 10 centimetres of tail jet black, is more
mysterious. My guess is a Western Brown Snake or Gwardar Pseudonaja
nuchalis, which is an extremely variable snake that probably comprises
several species.

Have you got photo's ?

Jeff Crocombe

quotes)