birding-aus

birding-aus European Raptors

Subject: birding-aus European Raptors
From: "TIM NORMAN" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:51:07 +1000
Attitudes to raptors in Europe are certainly paradoxical. I worked
for a short period in the early 90's as Species Protection Officer for
Peregrine in the Yorkshire Dales National Park where we had about
20 pairs of Peregrines. My work involved monitoring breeding
activity but also assisting police in the investigation of attempts to:
kill adult birds; disturb nests during breeding season; trap birds;
and, rob eggs. The latter perpetrated by well organised individuals
and groups which then sold the eggs for a considerable profit to
bird and egg collectors. I have to say that the British Police were
remarkably cooperative in attempting to stamp out this insidious
pratice.

Despite the immense pressure these birds persisted and (I
understand) the species is doing better in the UK these days.
Given the interest in pigeon keeping in the UK it was inevitable that
a conflict would arise.

The plight of raptors in the UK and Europe is not restricted to
Peregrines, however, and I would like to draw list members'
attention to the petition currently being prepared by the RSPB in
the UK

As I am new to the list, I apologise if you already know about the
RSPB's attempts to petition the European Parliament and French
Government to repeal a law passed by the French Government
which lengthens the existing hunting season. The French hunting
season now extends from 14 July to 28 February, longer than most
other EU countries. The French annually shoot millions of birds
(upto 64 species) including 50 migratory species. As a bird
watcher in the UK I was always appaled to hear of the carnage on
the continent which reduced or even prevented the arrival of some
migratory species to Britain (eg Honey Buzzard).

I have paper copies of the petition - if you would like a copy e-mail
me, otherwise you can go direct to the petition on-line at
www.rspb.org.uk

Tim Norman
Tim Norman
Graduate School of the Environment