birding-aus

birding-aus Musk lorikeet Invasion

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Musk lorikeet Invasion
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:52:00 +1000
Sydney at the moment seems to invaded by Musk Lorikeets. I can't avoid seeing them wherever I go. Upto 30 have been around my area in Seven Hills for atleast the last 6 weeks, first attracted to a very good flowering season of Grey Box (E.mollucanna) and then a good burst of flowering Broad-leaved Papperbarks. I have also seen an Australian Hobby and the following morning, a Peregrine Falcon (and at around the same time) whiz past the flocks of Musks over the last week. David Koffel also tells me he has seen about 60 around Oatley, and Dean Portelli has also seen about a dozen Musks recently at his place in Westmead.

I have also seen Musks at Redfern Station in the inner city, on my may way to work, during the last couple of weeks. I saw about 9 Musks fly over there this morning where I thought I also heard a Swift Parrot!!!!!. Will have my ears much tuned in tommorow morning.

Edwin