birding-aus

birding-aus "The Magpies"

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus "The Magpies"
From: "sonnenburg" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:34:05 +1000
I refer to the discussion happening on the above Dennis Glover poem.  In
1991 Australian singer/songwriter John Broomhall put "The Magpies" to music
on his CD "My Spirit Country".  That CD also contained a track called
"Birdsong" which lists about 70 species of Australian birds (in a poetic
vein).

This brings me to the point of how much our wonderful avifauna has inspired
our poets and songwriters over the years.  Just thinks of how many songs by
Australian singers mention Australian birds.  As I am talking about real
music, this does not include opera which is mostly unintelligible.

DUCKS --   Here in Queensland (north eastern part of Australia with the big
pointy bit on top), we don't have a duck season at the moment but may well
again depending on political will (or ill-will).  However I believe that
when shooting was last allowed a couple of years ago, there were about 3000
registered shooters.  I believe that Victoria has about 300000.  Therein
lies the problem.  They shoot and they vote.  Just ask Jeffrey!!
For the record I am totally opposed to duck shooting and actively campaign
against it whenever the opportunity arises.  But I enjoyed a Peking Duck
meal at a Chinese restaurant recently on the assumption that it was Muscovy
and not Anas superciliosa.

Cheers
Roy Sonnenburg

quotes)