birding-aus

birding-aus List Changes

Subject: birding-aus List Changes
From: RUSSELL DEAN WOODFORD <>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:23:01 +1000 (EST)
Hi again everybody

I've made a few changes to the list configuration.  Some of them might
even work!! Or maybe I'm getting too smart for my own good...

1. Anyone can now post to the list - whether or not they are subscribed.
That means that those of you with different TO and FROM addresses should
no longer have problems sending mail to birding-aus!  (If it works...)

2. Only list members can get a list of subscribers
("who birding-aus" to

3. To try to avoid some of the problems we've had before, I've used a new
feature of the server software, invoking certain "taboo" words in
messages headers.  For that reason, try not to use the following words or
symbols in your Subject Line:

Academic Tours
Islam
Islamic
infidel

etc

I'm not about religious censorship, but some of you will remember we
received some unwanted email of this nature on the list.

Those of you who have been around for more than a few months will
recognise some familiar words from nuisance messages.  If anyone would
like to add some more, please let me know - by private mail rather than to
the list - we've already had one case of litigation connected with
birding-aus...  And I'm sorry, but the following are NOT acceptible words
to ban from our subject lines, despite what some of you think:

duck
hunting
a l'orange
lorne