birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RKI Pacific Gulls

To: David James <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RKI Pacific Gulls
From: Alwyn Hunt <>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 20:36:40 +1030
birding-aus

Hi all and David in particular,
On my frequent Atlassing surveys of the Encounter Bay foreshore about 3-4
kilometres South of the CBD of Victor Harbor township (Southern Coast of the
Fleurieu Peninsula)  I almost always on each survey see a pair (not necessarily
a bird of each gender) of Pacific Gulls. Sometimes, but more rarely there may
be three birds.
The most frequent sightings have occurred at times of low tide when the
in-shore reef is exposed and visible from Franklin Parade between Bartel
Boulevard and Whalers Road T-junctions.
It is just as often that I see a pair (or sometimes 3) of Sooty Oyster Catchers
and always numerous White Faced Herons.
Further South (about 2-3 kilometres) along Franklin Parade on the rocks
opposite the Whalers Haven (restaurant) an Eastern Reef Egret (Dark Morph) was
seen in close company with a White Faced Heron today (unfortunately not by me).

I hope this is of some benefit to our Dutch visitor.
Cheers,
Alwyn Hunt