birding-aus

birding-aus Broad-billed Sandpipers - Kooragang Island

Subject: birding-aus Broad-billed Sandpipers - Kooragang Island
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:59:44 +1000
birding-aus

Broad-billed Sandpipers still occur in the Hunter estuary, NSW) in VERY
small numbers - mind you my regular counts finished some 18 months ago.
They can very easy be overlooked as they were often on the edge of the
flocks (1000-1500) Curlew Sandpipers.  Given that the usual roost site on a
narrow rock wall and most people can really only see the first line of
birds most observers will miss this species.  I conducted surveys from a
boat drifting past the birds on the tide and managed to pick them up
occasionally.

I gather that the large flocks that once occurred were in tidal wetland
wetlands that have now been filled.

David Geering

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)