birding-aus

birding-aus Birds and other Sydney fauna

Subject: birding-aus Birds and other Sydney fauna
From: (Andy Burton)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:37:13 +1000
birding-aus

Yesterday sitting on the 7th floor of my suburban Sydney apartment, the
weather autumnal and perfect, I spied in and around my local "plantation"
eucalypts the following butterflies.

Blue Triangle           3
Orchard Swallowtail     1 male
Tailed Emporer          1
Common Brown            2
Common Jezabel          6

A fine collection and all viewed at the same time.

About a week ago in Explosives Reserve, Middle Harbour (an inlet to Sydney
Harbour) I found a young Green Tree Snake, quite relaxed at my presence and
my first sighting of this species in Sydney. They are apparently resident
here.

And to justify this message I must mention some birds. Visited Cattai NP a
few days ago and with Edwin Vella, Dean Portelli and Cindy Ryan saw a
nesting Wonga Pigeon near the ranger's residence. Unfortunately the
Oriental Cuckoo was not seen but the birding was excellent. Other cuckoos
included Shining Bronze and Fan-tailed, a few Drongos were present, a
Rufous Fantail (they seem to be on migration at the moment), plenty of
Mistletoebirds, small groups of Varied Sitellas and excellent views of a
pair of Cicadabirds.

Longneck Lagoon had a Swamp Harrier and two Stubble Quail were flushed.

Nearby on Cattai Creek were Brown Cuckoo-dove, Crested Shrike-tit, Satin
Bowerbirds, king-parrots and overhead 12 Rainbow Bee-eaters were flying to
roost (or on overnight migration?)

Andy Burton
Andy Burton's Bush Tours
703/4 Francis Road
Artarmon, NSW  2064

Email
Ph      61 2 9904 8468  (home and bus.)
Fax     61 2 9904 8768

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)