birding-aus

birding-aus SE QLD trip report

Subject: birding-aus SE QLD trip report
From: "Marc Anderson" <>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 01:06:28 PST
birding-aus

NE NSW & SE QLD TRIP REPORT

Highlights:

*SIPO site south of Ballina:- After a 1 1/2 hour walk in the sun along
the beach & inspection of 60+ OZPO's I finally succeeded in finding the
SIPO. Also of interest were a pair of Grey-crowned Babblers in a Banksia
at the start of the 4WD track. Tawny Grassbird, Pheasant Coucal,
Red-backed Fairy Wren & a Tiger Snake were present on the access rd
(Boundary Rd?), off the Pacific Hwy.

*Nightcap NP:- Apart from the beautiful Protester Falls which were
particularly impressive after the heavy rains in late Jan-early Feb, I
saw Russet-tailed Thrush, Pale Yellow Robin, Little Shrike-thrush &
Paradise Riflebird.

*Mouth of Belongil Creek, Byron Bay:- 60+ Crested Terns, 32 Common
Terns, 4 LIttle Terns, Striated Heron, Eastern Reef Egret, Sacred
Kingfisher, Bar-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, Eastern Curlew, Pacific Golden
Plover, Ruddy Turnstone, Common Sandpiper(1), Red-capped Plover,
Brahminy Kite, Osprey & Whistling Kite.

*O'Reillys, Lamington NP:- An adult male Albert's Lyrebird was calling &
showing well on the trail next to the botanical gardens.Russet-tailed
Thrush & Noisy Pitta fairly common along the Border Trail
early.Spotlighting along the entrance road revealed Bandicoots, Common
Ring-tailed Possum, Sugar Glider & both Boobook Owl & Owlet NIghtjar
calling.

*Mudflats at Boonooroo(near Maryborough):-Tom Tarrant kindly advised me
of this excellent site which produced both Forest & Collared
Kingfishers, Mangrove Honeyeater & countless numbers of
waders(2000+?).Large numbers of Bar-tailed Godwit, Great Knot,Mongolian
PLover, Red-capped Plover & Pacific Golden Plover.Smaller numbers of
Black-tailed Godwit, Red Knot, Curlew Sandpiper & Terek Sandpiper.And a
few Whimbrel, Eastern Curlew, Greenshank, Grey-tailed Tattler,Pied
Oystercatcher & Caspian Terns(2).

*Fraser Island:-Highlights were Varied Triller, Wompoo Fruit-dove, MUsk
Duck & an abundance of Scarlet Honeyeaters wherever there were
reasonably tall eucalypts.

  A total of 184 species were seen over three weeks.This was not
primarily a birding holiday so I was quite happy with what I saw.I
missed Rufous Scrub-bird at O'Reillys, Black-breasted Button Quail
(Yarraman was a little too far out of my way) & Marbled Frogmouth.I
would like to thank Tom Tarrant & Allan Richards for providing me with
helpful info on sites etc., some of which I unfortunately did not get to
visit.Any further details on the trip can be forwarded to
 .