birding-aus

birding-aus Re: RFI Numbats

Subject: birding-aus Re: RFI Numbats
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:25:55 +0800
birding-aus

At 11:14 22/02/99 +1100, Paul McDonald wrote:
>My parents are currently touring around WA, and are very keen to see
>Numbats either in the wild and/or at a sanctuary. Does anyone out there have a
>name of the forest that they are released/still found in, as well as general
>directions of how to get there.

Dryandra State Forest near Narrogin is the recommended site.  As a general
rule, drive slowly (~30kph) around the roads and I usually see about 1 every
2 hours.  They usually run into a log, but if you stop they usually resume
feeding / whatever after a few minutes.  They are very hard to find on foot.
However, on the last couple of visits I haven't seen any.  Maybe they are
being trapped for release at many other sites to reestablish their former range?

The last Numbat that I saw was across the road from the warden's house.
There used to a Numbat near the tennis court at the Dryandra Forest Village.
I have seen a Numbat at the intersection of the Wandering/Narrogin Road and
Kawana Road (the first entrance from Wandering direction).  Patonga Road
used to be a good chance.

Boyagin Rock is another area of wandoo woodland where Numbat have been
reestablished after extensive fox control.  This is about 45 minutes north
of Dryandra.

They can be seen at the Perth Zoo and there is a private wildlife sanctuary
(Cohunu?) just outside Perth.

Frank O'Connor                  Argyle Diamonds
8C Hardy Road                   PMB 11
Nedlands  WA  6009              West Perth  WA  6872
Phone   +61 8 9386 5694         +61 8 9167 1445
ICQ 14655047                    Fax +61 8 9167 1438
Email
Birding WA http://www.iinet.net.au/~foconnor/

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)