birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Correction / Advice on Lovebirds

To: Philip A Veerman <>,
Subject: birding-aus Re: Correction / Advice on Lovebirds
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:27:15 +1100
birding-aus

Philip A Veerman wrote:

> Anthea,
> The "blackish headed species" are Masked Lovebirds (Agapornis
> personata). It
> is most certainly not Fischer's Lovebird (A. fischeri). Fischer's
> Lovebird
> have a sort of multi-hued orange to apricot head, the colour of which
> is
> somewhat similar to the monotone pink face colour of the most common
> species, the Peach-face Lovebird (A. roseicollis) (which has pink face
> but a
> green top to the head, but there are many other differences other than
> the
> face colour). Those are the three commonly kept species. Nyassa
> Lovebirds
> (A. liliane) are yet another species and as far as I know, they are
> rare or
> very rare in captivity in Australia. "Nyassa" is not a group name and
> if it
> is used that way, it is in error. There are all sorts of domestic
> forms that
> make the job even more confusing.

Dear Philip, thanks for correction re Lovebirds. As a teenager in the
50s, I recall a bird-keeping friend with the first pair of Peachfaces I
ever saw. Released from a very small travelling box, after life in a
shop with 5 other pairs in a small canary-cage, they rushed screaming up
and down the  12 ft aviary for about an hour. I'm sure it was pure joy
at being able to stretch their wings at last. The dealer was definite
that they werent lovebirds, they were Peach-faced Nyassas.. At various
times I have found dealers to be most deceitful/misleading about species
names. "No, of course they're not Regents, they are Rock Pebblers, or
Smokers, or anything else.."  I was also told (c. 1985) that the only
Princess Parrots in existence are captive birds, the wild ones were
completely wiped out by the Maralinga atom tests, and it's a very good
thing that they were bred in captivity etc etc....
   I hope that nowadays official controls on the bird trade insist on
correct identification by official names.  I'm all in favour of keeping
up knowledge of the colloquial and unofficial names of birds (I still
call the grey fantail 'Cranky Fan', but with parrots and finches in
particular I feel they are often used as commercial camouflage. "What
Bird is That?"(hardback) is a good source for alternate names.
  Anthea Fleming

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)