birding-aus

Re: birding-aus No Swifts & Many Swifts

Subject: Re: birding-aus No Swifts & Many Swifts
From: "Carol Probets" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 01:54:44 PST
birding-aus

Dear Mike,

Thanks for posting the report, it's good to know how one's sightings
compare with those in other areas.

Yesterday evening (16th Feb) I watched our first decent-sized flock of
White-throated Needletails all season. Between 7.20 and 7.40pm I counted
65 all flying south over my house (Katoomba NSW) at a rate of
approximately 3 per minute. They may have been going over earlier than
that, but definitely stopped at 7.40pm, except for one lone bird which
flew north very low (below treetop height) at 8.00pm.

At last, they might be on their way to Victoria.

Regards,
Carol.

>White-throated Needletail
>This species appears to have arrived very late to Victoria and in much
>smaller numbers than usual.  One observer in E. Gippsland who usually
has
>many sightings on most days in December, had only one by the end of
>January.  The only other sighting I have for Victoria is of 30 at
>Wurdiboluc (Richard Dilena).  In fact I searched an area near
Labertouche,
>and for only the second time ever, never found any needletails.  They
are
>usually there.  Did they breathe in too much ash over Indonesia on
their
>way to Siberia, last year?
>
>At Katoomba in NSW, where Carol Probets usually sees many as do her
fellow
>Bird Observers, they have made only three records this season.  These
have
>only been small numbers, 3, 2, & 12 between 26 December and 28 January.
On