birding-aus

birding-aus Re: No. of bird species

Subject: birding-aus Re: No. of bird species
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:52:46 +1000
birding-aus

Following the recent discussion about the number of bird species in the
      world I thought the following might be of interest.

I have recently received the following email from BirdLife International in
      response to my forwarding a list of the 219 bird species seen by
      myself, and others, in the Capertee Valley, central NSW, during the
      first week of October.

"Dear David,
We have just received the results of last year's NTT World Bird Count. An
amazing 5,744 species were recorded in 94 different countries by 112,161
participants. I would like to thank you, on behalf of BirdLife
International
for your invaluable contribution to this event. The funds will go to the
bird conservation programme in Asia.
Thank you and best wishes,
Naomi Hawkins"

If we assume that there are about 10 000 bird species, well over half of
the bird species on earth were recorded.  This is impressive, but perhaps
more impressive is the amount of money that would have been raised.  I
can't recall the amount that NTT (Japanese telecommunications company) were
sponsoring each species for, but I'm sure it's more than petty cash.

David Geering

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)