birding-aus

Re: Raptor chasing galahs

To: Philip A Veerman <>
Subject: Re: Raptor chasing galahs
From: James Davis <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:52:59 +1000 (EST)
Recently, I watched a smallish Brown Goshawk chase a pair of Pied
Currawongs within forested habitat.  First, one of the currawongs
would harass the hawk and then minutes later the hawk would chase one of
the currawongs (withhin the 45 minute period I watched never did the
currawongs gang-up on the hawk). The currwongs were probably trying to
persuade the hawk to move on, but the hawk wasn't convinced.  I would like
to add another interpretation that could also apply to the galahs and
hobby observations.  The hawk, galahs and currawongs were making a game
out of a not-so-dangerous situation.  This would be especially true if the
hawk(s) in question were young birds.

Cheers, Jim

Dr. Wm. James Davis, Editor
Interpretive Birding Bulletin