birding-aus

round hill sojourn report

Subject: round hill sojourn report
From: lorne <>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 06:45:47 +1000
Hello... Lorne here...

On the 7th and 8th of Jan. I went to Round Hill Nature reserve and Lake
Cargelligo. I've been meaning to post this report, but have had no time,
due to residency changings.

Saw no chats at the celebrated 'chat alley' - it was frustratingly
devoid of them unfortunately. Got WHITE-WINGED FAIRY WREN female troop
here. New bird for me. Saw Zebra Finches and pipits here too. Blue
Bonnets and Mulga Parrots nearby.

At the famous 'wheat paddocks' at Round Hill NR, which I finally
located, I saw SOUTHERN SCRUB-ROBIN (three or four) and two SHY
HEATHWRENS. New birds for me. The scrub-robins were delightful, lively
creatures - one jumped up and down and ruffled all its feathers in an
explosive manner at one stage - inquisitive with scolding notes when I
was mimicing them. They are really eccentric, great birds. Saw one
giving territorial call from low branch. Also saw INLAND THRONBILL here
and at R.H. itself. Another tick!!!!!

Saw White-fronted Honeyeaters, flock of budgies, bellbirds, emus, no
whistlers except Golden, no quail-thrush, pardalotes, white-browed
woodwsallow, Splendid and Variegated Wrens, red-capped robin, Spotted
Nightjar, no Black falcon, no Pied or Black Honeyeaters etc. in general
area.

Very hot out there - circa 42 degrees and you had to bird before 9 and
after 6pm to get anything!!!

Lake Cargelligo locals friendly enough. Many aboriginals there, who were
pleasant - one lady helped me with directions to local Chinese
restaurant!

Red dirt like spirit blood, tussocks of golden spinikex, Malle Dragons
running everywhere, chasing emus in car, roos by road, bluebush bonanza,
flies like glue, sun like demon, heat like torturer, mossy stones on
Round Hill no not really wet, tracks within tracks within tracks on the
roads!!!!!!!!

A great overnight excursion, unfortunately shortened by Sydney
commitments!!!!!!!!

Hope you're all well,

LORNE.