birding-aus

Re: re white noddies

Subject: Re: re white noddies
From: Julian Bielewicz <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:10:12 +1000
Ross:

>But dear me, surely we can call Jacky Winters Peter Peter
>and Kookaburras Jackasses and something SIPO and something else OZPO and
>still enjoy a bit of birding.

I think you've missed the point.  No one suggested that individual birders
can't enjoy their birding, calling any bird by whatever name they choose.
BUT when it comes to communicating that information...

For example I recently had to follow up a posting on this list because the
poster used a number of names that did not conform with current accepted
Australian nomenclature (indeed, one of the names used is that of a South
American species) and while I was 90% sure which species the poster intended
(and I'm not a scientist, merely a humble birder who occasionally puts
together a paper on birds) I did not want to guess or assume; I wanted to be
certain before committing the details to my database.

I at least have the advantage of several years of birding behind me and am
aware of many alternative names still in use by some but what of those new
to the pastime?  How are they to know what a Peter Peter is, especially if
the posting offers no other clue.  You would surely agree that consistency
and continuity in ornithology goes a little beyond <idiosyncracies>.

Julian
Julian Bielewicz
Past President
Queensland Ornithological Society